Also known as “The Shocking Ingredients In Beer”
Enjoy a pint of Guinness? Or maybe a Fosters on tap? A bottle of Corona? Then DON’T read any further!
Despite the fact that food is legally required to carry an ingredients list on the product (http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/), beer does not carry this requirement. This allows certain brewers to ‘hide’ ingredients in their beers. These are not necessarily illegal ingredients, they are just not that healthy:
- Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
- Propylene Glycol (an ingredient found in anti-freeze)
- Calcium Disodium EDTA (made from formaldehyde, sodium cayanide, and Ethylenediamine)
- Many different types of sulfites and anti-microbial preservatives (linked to allergies and asthma)
- Natural Flavors (can come from anything natural including a beavers anal gland)
- GMO Sugars – Dextrose, Corn Syrup – Guinness, Fosters, Corona, Red Stripe, Bud, Millers, Michelob
- Caramel Coloring (Class III or IV made from ammonia and classified as a carcinogen) – Newcastle Brown Ale
- FD&C Blue 1 (Made from petroleum, linked to allergies, asthma and hyperactivity)
- FD&C Red 40 (Made from petroleum, linked to allergies, asthma and hyperactivity)
- FD&C Yellow 5 (Made from petroleum, linked to allergies, asthma and hyperactivity)
- Insect-Based Dyes: carmine derived from cochineal insects to color their beer.
- BPA (Bisphenol A is a component in many can liners and it may leach into the beer. BPA can mimic the female hormone estrogen and may affect sperm count, and other organ functions.)
- Carrageenan (linked to inflammation in digestive system, IBS and considered a carcinogen in some circumstances)
This is enough to make me want another ‘healthy’ craft beer. German beers are brewed under the Reinheitsgebot, so these would make perfect pints too.
For more shocking reading, have a look at this article.